Monday, September 15, 2008

Can we just sit for awhile?

The other night I was talking with a friend of mine and we got on the subject of music. I was telling her how music has always been a form of therapy for me.

I took piano lessons from second grade until I graduated from high school....don't be getting all excited that you have undiscovered piano talent in the church.....trust me......I am really not that good.....this white girl cannot play the new choruses and keep the beat....kind of like walking and chewing gum.....

now that is all cleared up - back to my main story.

ANYWAY......I used to come home from school all stressed out over some stupid high school thing that I can't even remember now and would sit down at the piano and play. I would start with classical music.....Beethovan was always a favorite....sometimes Bach and just play the heck out of the piano. As I played I would calm down and by the time I was done I was playing pop tunes and singing Barbara Streisand -(loved a Star is Born) music, love ballads, etc., - I would look at the clock and most times I had played for at least two hours! Gone were the days when I would sit at the piano and cry because I had to practice! - 30 min. - 15 spent crying and whining and 15 spent practicing....LOL

Then a few years later I discovered contemporary christian music and was fortunate enough to live in a place where GOOD christian radio was on all day - not just at midnight like back home on KOMA- a christian talk radio station you could get out of Oklahoma. (I did live on the plains of Texas)

Then came those days I stayed home and took care of the kids and they might be fussing and fighting - no - they were fussing and fighting and I could turn on christian radio and it seemed like within minutes the spirit of God lighted within our home and the kids calmed down and the atmosphere changed...and my attitude.....and my children were granted a reprieve.......and got to live....

Then there have been many times when the words to a christian song... just......got me.....I would be listening to cassette tapes (back in the day) then CDs or the radio and the words to a song reached right down to the depths of my soul and the Holy Spirit ministered to me right where I needed at that moment. My spirit leapt within because I knew God was saying, "These words are for you Jaye." Like the song, "If I could just sit with you for a while". I'll share the chorus with you:

"If I could just sit with you awhile,
If you could just hold me
Nothing can touch me though I'm wounded though I die
If I could just sit with you awhile
I need you to hold me.
moment by moment til forever passes by.....

moment by moment til....forever passes by......"
written by Dennis Jernigan sung by Jami Smith.....

Is that not the most beautiful picture......Jesus, can I just sit with you awhile? Can we just go sit alongside the river and listen to the soothing sound of water rushing by......or on the mountainside and lay down side by side and stare at your heavens.....or out on the beach and dig our toes in the sand and let the waves wash over our feet......or Could you just hold me? I need you to hold me......we don't have to talk....can we just.... sit ....for a while.....

This is a beautiful, soulful song and I find strength in the vision of taking time to just sit with Jesus for awhile.....waiting on the next move..... waiting on His soft, still voice.....waiting and listening

Can we just sit for awhile in Jesus' presence?

No comments: