Monday, August 4, 2008

Climbing The Peak

Since the day I moved here I have wanted to climb Pagosa Peak. Pagosa Peak is a mountain that is 12,640 ft in elevation and just looks incredible against the skyscape of our fair town. Why would I want to do that? .....ummmmm....because it is a challenge and because I can!!!! LOL.

We sat out one morning about 7 a.m. You have to drive partially up the mountain (um about 10,000 ft or so) to get to the trail head.....and it takes a while....you have to have a 4-wheel drive to get through the "road" and I use that term loosely. Although the forest service has cleared out the fallen trees from this winter, there were still low hanging limbs and curving trees to maneuver through. At one point we had to get out and find a stick to "jack up" a limb so that we could drive under it. It was very slow going about 5 - 10 miles an hour. We finally arrived at the trailhead, parked and began our hike. There were about 12 ladies in our group.

Although this was a hike I really wanted to do, I have to admit I was a little nervous. I knew it would be difficult but just how difficult? We began our trek up and would hike a few minutes and then stop to breathe, hike a few minutes.....breathe.....it was tough but the scenery was incredible - especially the higher we got.



Finally we broke through to what is called "the saddle"(close to treeline but starting to be more rocky than treed). This part of the journey is where we took a good rest (15 min) because from that point on the elevation was pretty intense. Once we broke treeline (we were above the tops of the trees....) we went up about 800 feet more in elevation in a very short time.

We hiked on and came to the first peak...if you don't know better you think you are THERE....no, no.....you must scramble up this rock trail to the real PEAK and then you are THERE....and you are so THERE!!!! 12,600' up and looking at all the surrounding mountains and valleys and trails and the town......amazing! After many yeehaw's and photo ops, we sat down and ate our lunch. That was a real treat.

When you are above treeline you are a target for lightening should a storm come up. The general rule is to get up on the peak before noon and get down because summer storm showers come almost everyday. God blessed up with an almost cloudless day and we had the opportunity to spend time up there.

Well, it took three hours to go up and 2 1/2 to come down. Coming down was harder than the climb I think. Very hard on the ends of your toes and your knees. My legs were so tired! And then we had to climb over fallen trees on the trail.....yikes.....some of them I just crawled under - my legs just wouldn't lift up!

Finally we were back down and driving back home. Wow - what an incredible experience. Every time I look at the Peak, I think back on having lunch up there....and..... I did it! I hiked the peak and had LUNCH up there! I HAVE BEEN ON THE PEAK!

I think about that in my spiritual life as well. The deep times I have had with God correlate with hiking the peak. The journey was hard.....there were times when all I could do was just breathe-- and keep going.....but the breaking above tree line times with God were amazing- when I gained a new spiritual insight muscle and was able to climb higher and higher with God- it was so incredibly awesome....... and then being able to be in God's arms at the peak of my journey with Kade -it was so incredibly worth the hike with God.

You know, when times get tough I look back on the Peak moments with God and say, "I have been to the Peak with you God and I KNOW I can trust you more than anything in life and it is going to be OKAY!"

Praying for you to "hike the Peak" with God.....
Jaye P

2 comments:

Lion Lunch said...

Sounds like the "spaaklees" survived the descent and the "wed wips" too. Well done!

Pam F. said...

Reminds me of a beautiful day, years ago in Glorieta!! You didn't mention any bears (or cows!)
Maybe sometime I'll be able to climb that peak with you. Love you! Pam